Thursday, April 3, 2008

WARNING! This is controversial

So, my good friend told me she was reading in a magazine about a man who is pregnant. Yes you read that right. Apparently he is a transgender, takes hormones to help the physical appearance and had his natural breasts surgically removed but never got rid of the inside girly parts. Highly confusing yet quite interesting. He is married, to a woman, and legally recognized as a man. The couple was on Oprah this week, and even aired an ultrasound. The article is so interesting to me mainly because I have several pregnant friends. He says that he has always felt more masculine and it was just more natural for him to dress and live like a man. Yet, he wanted the experience of having a child. He has a valid point saying "It's not a male or female desire to want to have a child…it's a human desire." I guess I just wonder how you feel more like a man and still have a monthly friend and all the hormones of being pregnant. Even my most tomboy friend that is preggo is a sap these days. Very strange. I also am so sad that he never loved himself as the person God made him, a woman. Thats the controversy. But that's what I believe. Even with all my issues of self image and esteem I never once was not happy with the gender I was born. I never questioned it. BUT.....I did not live his life growing up and could not know the experiences he had, nor he mine. I'm sure it's not the 1st, just the 1st publicly announced and it surely won't be the last. 

2 comments:

Bethany said...

whoa. I feel so not feminine and yet when that blessed curse comes along every month (on hold since I'm pg. hehe) Its a big fat reminder that I'm a girl! I am just in wonder right now.

Rose's Books said...

Okay, now I get it. Someone from work was saying that a transgendered man was pregnant and I kept saying that it wasn't possible because of what they do to all the inside stuff while making new outside stuff. He didn't finish the surgeries. Ok. And- it is sad that he was never the way he was made.