Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Micah James Daniel




My precious nephew Micah was born last night at 9:30pm. He weighed in at 8lbs 6 oz and 20in long. He is cute and loving and a miracle.

I was honored to be a part of the "care team" for my sister Bethany during birth. She knows how obsessed I am with pregnancy and the birth process and asked if I would be there with her during his birth. It was awesome. Awkward at times to see her laid out like a garage sale and enduring pain only a mother could know. She was trooper and pushed through with only minimal pain meds. (She opted for a low dose of pain killer instead of an epidural).
It was all wonderful, but the funniest part(s) were hearing her tell us "you.just.don't.understand." and just after birth in a clearly lucid moment "i want pickles, bad". Watching the nurses scurry when she said "I can't hold it anymore, I'm pushing" was truly humorous, especially since there was no Doctor in sight. His head popped out just in time for the Dr. to catch him. literally catch him. And then the sweet cries from this new life. An overwhelmingly amazing moment that words cannot do justice.
We have generational birth defects and God spared this little boy from all of them. Then came our cries of relief and joy.

My sweet little brother, an amazing father and doting husband. If you know him you know he doesnt say much but the care he gave his wife was beautiful. He knew exactly what was happening at each moment and was right there for her every need. (even when she yelled at him!). His face of joy and excitement when Micah was born are precious memories. Watching and taking pictures of him cutting his sons cord to give him independance and to bond with him as his father are amongst my favorites.
Congrats Daniel and Bethany!

God bless you and keep you, God smile on you and gift you, God look you full in the face and make you prosper
~Num 6:24-26

6 comments:

MsViz said...

Oh he is beautiful!!!!!
Can I copy your post onto the family one?

Sarah said...

Congrats Auntie! He is adorable! I am glad you got to experience the birthing process it truly is amazing yet wierd all at the same time. I have only experince it having the baby never as a spectator but that room is truly an amazing place to be. By the way I am totally crying right now just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

you said it all so beautifully! steph d.

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I can't imagine why? ;) but seriously it brings tears of joy. I am truly blessed to have had such a wonderful support team. you guys were amazing. thank you!!

TimAprilA said...

Amanda...
That was a beautiful story!!
thanks for sharing. I did get to see him after you guys left what a precious miricle!!!!!
Congrat Auntie Manda

Moira said...

Beautiful post Amanda. What a blessing to be able to share in the birth of Micah with Daniel and Bethany.